Monday, June 25, 2007

Why I Love my Job

I think I've mentioned before that I work for a college. It's the same college where I went to school. I just came here and, well, never left. It wasn't that I didn't *try* to leave, it just worked out that I got a job here. But I am so glad I did.

The best years of my life were spent here as a student. It's where I made most of the friends I still have, it's where I met my husband, it's where I really think I became the person I am today. I love being able to walk around campus, where nostalgia lies around every corner. Sometimes I'll go into a building or walk down a certain sidewalk and the memories come flooding back.....I love that. Not everyone is so lucky to work in a place they love so much.

When I got the job, I remember telling a friend of mine who had been my roommate in college. Her reply was, "You can't stay there forever. You have to enter the *real world* at some point." I have come to the conclusion that is not true. I don't want to be part of the *real world* (whatever that means--and yes, working in academia is much different than working in some corporate job....I know that now.) So I choose to stay here. Everyone talks so much about how hard the "real world" is....so why not stay here? It's safe and cozy here and they do give me a paycheck to be here, after all. So why not? Who needs the "real world" anyway?

No comments: