Friday, June 1, 2007

I have a confession to make...

I hate flip-flops. There, I said it. I work on a college campus and everywhere I go, no matter what time of year it is, I see flip-flops. Girls wear nice skirts....with flip-flops. A boy will be dressed to the nines from the ankle up, but his shoes? Flip-flops. No matter what some 19-year-old will tell you, flip-flops are not appropriate footwear for every situation. Even if they have sequins and sparkles....they're still flip-flops. Sure, they're great to wear to the beach or when you're just bumming around the house. But when did they become such a staple of so many people's wardrobes? I see these kids wearing flip-flops in the dead of winter--sweaters and gloves on with flip-flops. Maybe you wouldn't be quite so cold if you had something on your feet!

I don't even think flip-flops are very comfortable. I've tried to wear them--I really have. As a Parrothead, it is part of the "uniform." But I hate them. I hate the way that thong part feels in between my toes. It hurts and I can never get used to it. So I choose to wear other, more comfortable sandals...in the summer.....and not when I'm wearing my Sunday best.

I was in a department store one day a few months ago. Standing in line to check out, a teenage girl was with her mom. The mom commented that some socks were on sale and asked if the girl would like to take a look at them. The girl rolled her eyes, heaved a big sigh, and said, "Mom.....I don't *wear* socks." Don't wear socks? Who doesn't need socks? Even if you do wear flip-flops most of the time, don't your feet ever get cold? Don't you ever feel the need to cover them? Are we destined to become a sock-less society? I certainly hope not. That's not the kind of world I want my child to grow up in.

No comments: