Monday, June 11, 2007

When did I get old?

It hit me today. I am old. Whether I like it or not, I am old. Yeah, yeah, plenty of people will tell you that 30 isn't old. There are also people who say that 40, 50 and 60 aren't old either. (If that's the case, when are you considered "old?" 70? 80? Never?)

I saw this story today: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19165433/

That's right, folks. "Baby Jessica" happened 20 years ago. 20. TWENTY. And I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember being glued to my TV with my parents, watching that news coverage, hoping and praying that she would be OK. I remember crying a little when they got her out. I remember the cheesy TV movie that came later.

I think the reason this is getting me to more than other anniversaries of major media events I've witnessed during my life is that I remember this one so clearly. And I do not *feel* like I should be old enough to remember and event from 20 years ago in such detail. It just does not seem like 20 years should have lapsed between then and now. I hope the next 20 years does not go by as fast, but I have a feeling--if the past 2 years are any indication--that it will go a LOT faster.

No comments: